|Source: The Manchester Evening News|
The Europa League return this week Manchester United travelling to Belgium in order to face Club Brugge in the first knockout round of the competition. They will play at 17:55 GMT in one of the early kick-off games this Thursday.
Brugge will be no easy task for Manchester United as they are top of their league, the Belgium Pro League, and in good form domestically. Meanwhile, Manchester United sit in 7th in the Premier League in what has been a mostly disappointing campaign to this point. However, given the quality of the teams and the stature of Manchester United, United are still huge favourites in this game and the tie overall.
In terms of team news for Manchester United, Victor Lindelof could return for Manchester United after missing Monday’s victory at Chelsea. Also, the pair of McTominay and Tuanzebe, who have not featured for United since December due to injuries, have both been training recently and could feature, however the they as well as Mason Greenwood and Phil Jones weren’t spotted prior to the team’s departure from Manchester Airport. Moreover, United remain without Marcus Rashford and Paul Pogba through injury, still huge blows to the squad.
- The last time Manchester United played against Club Brugge was to qualify for the Champions League and registered a 7-1 aggregate with Memphis Depay and Wayne Rooney starring over both legs.
- Mason Greenwood has scored four goals in the Europa League, more than any other United player
- Sergio Romero is yet to concede in the Europa League this season
- Manchester United have only scored twice away from home in Europe this season
- Club Brugge have conceded eight goals at home in Europe but are yet to lose at home in the Belgian Pro League
A player who could start for Manchester United on Thursday is new signing Odion Ighalo, who could make his full debut in the game. His debut has been highly anticipated ever since he signed for United, due to the general buzz and willingness for Ighalo to do well in a Manchester United shirt. If he manages to get a goal, Manchester United fans all around the world would be ecstatic.
Predicted XI: Romero, Shaw, Maguire, Bailly, Dalot, Fred, Matic, Fernandes, Mata, Martial, Ighalo
Predicted Result: Club Brugge 0-2 Manchester United