Manchester United will end their 2020/21 Premier League campaign in second place regardless of the result at Wolves. We will be looking to achieve the record of being unbeaten away from home all season. However, the focus is primarily on the Europa League on May 26th against Villarreal.
The match against Wolves means very little in terms of league positions. However, in the overall picture, United will want to go to Molineux and get the victory. This would give the players confidence and a morale boost ahead of the final on Wednesday. We have managed to secure second position after other results in the league on Tuesday evening went our way. The Red Devils have not won in their last three games having lost to Leicester City and Liverpool. We secured a 1-1 draw in our last league game against Fulham at Old Trafford, which saw fans return to the stadium.
United might be happy to be back on the road again as our form away from home has been excellent this season. We are unbeaten in 18 games having secured 11 wins in that run. Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjær has already hinted they will be changes for the Wolves game. He will be looking ahead to the Europa League final as to which players will be starting.
The Red Devils will not want to arrive into the final with a loss to Wolves. We will be looking to achieve a league double over them after beating 1-0 in the reverse fixture back in December.
Manager Nuno Espirito Santo will lead his side for the final time as he will be standing down by mutual consent at the end of the season. The future of the manager had been debated for the last couple of months. He had only signed a new three-year deal back in September after leading the team to back-to-back seventh-place finishes in the league. This season has not lived up to those expectations as Wolves have achieved 45 points and are in 12th place.
A win would guarantee them 12th place. However, they are just three points clear of 15th place Newcastle United. It could mean results across the final games of the season could see them slipping down in positions.
Wolves come into the final game after successive defeats to Tottenham Hotspur and Everton. They have not won in their last five games against United across all competitions. The home form has proved inconsistent this season having only won seven, drawn four, and lost seven of their 18 league matches. With it being Nuno Espirito Santo final game, they will want to give him a good send-off.
Wolves vs Manchester United Match Details
Teams: Wolves vs Manchester United
Date: May 23rd, 2020 (Sunday)
KO Time: 16:00 BST
Competition: Premier League
Referee: Mike Dean
Managers: Ole Gunnar Solskjær and Nuno Espirito Santo
Manchester United Team News
For United, captain Harry Maguire is unavailable still due to his ankle injury. Anthony Martial will not feature against Wolves as the game comes too soon for him. He has only just returned to training due to his knee injury. Fred, Scott McTominay and Daniel James have been cleared to play following their recent knocks.
Ole Gunnar Solskjær has said there will be changes to the team. This could see Alex Telles, Juan Mata, Nemanja Matic, Amad Diallo and Donny van de Beek feature. The younger players of Amad Diallo, Shola Shoretire and Hannibal Mejbri are expected to get some minutes on the pitch.
David De Gea could start in goal and might keep his place for the Europa League final, with the future of Dean Henderson at the club in some doubt.
Wolves vs Manchester United Pre-Match Press Conference
During the pre-match press conference, Ole was asked about the fitness of Harry Maguire and whether he will make the Europa League final. He said, “He’s walking but it’s a long way from walking to running, to be honest. I don’t think we’ll see him Gdansk, no. But I’m going to give him until Tuesday night, last training session, to see if he can be out there. Steadily but surely he’s improving. But ligaments take time to heal.”
Ole was asked for his thoughts on the league season that United have had. He said, “We’re not where we aimed to be. But we’ve got ambitions to move up one place. But there’s been steady improvement. Third last season, second this season, some more points. We’ve done really well away from home. We know we had a difficult start to the season, losing three of the first six games and loads of them were home games, which put pressure on the team. The players have been very very good.”
Wolves Team News
For our opponents, Raul Jimenez, Pedro Neto, Jonny and Daniel Podence are out this game due to injury. Manager Nuno Espirito Santo could make changes to the side that lost to Everton in midweek. Romain Saiss, Fernando Marcal, Rui Patricio, Leander Dendoncker and Vitinha could be handed starting places.
Manchester United Premier League form: WDWLLD
Manchester United form (all competitions): WLWLLD
Wolves Premier League form: WLDWLL
- Manchester United have lost just one of the past seven Premier League meetings against Wolves (W3 D3 L1). (source: BBC Sport).
- Manchester United have equalled their highest Premier League finish since Alex Ferguson retired as manager in 2013. (source: BBC Sport).
- United are on a club league record run of 25 successive away fixtures unbeaten (W16, D9). They could become only the third club to remain unbeaten away from home across an entire English top-flight campaign, emulating Preston in 1888-89 and Arsenal in 2001-02 and 2003-04. (source: BBC Sport).
- When finishing their Premier League campaign away from home, the Red Devils are unbeaten in 10 games since losing at Spurs in 2000-01 (W7, D3). (source: BBC Sport).
- Marcus Rashford’s next goal will be his 100th in all competitions in his senior career (88 for Manchester United, 11 for England). Rashford has scored in two of his three starts against Wolves for the Red Devils. (source: Opta)
- Bruno Fernandes has not played at Molineux before. Since Wolves were promoted in 2018, Manchester United have never won there (P3 D1 L2).
- Since their promotion, Wolves have done well against the so-called Big Six. Earning 15 and 12 points against them in the 2018/19 and 2019/20 seasons respectively. This year they have only picked up 7 points. Two 2-1 wins against Arsenal (A) and Chelsea (H) and a 1-1 draw with Spurs at Molineux.
Wolves vs Manchester United Predicted Lineup
De Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Telles; Matic, Van de Beek; Amad, Mata, James, and Rashford.
United will want to achieve going the whole season unbeaten away from home. Victory against Wolves would give the team confidence after having not won in our last three games. There will be changes to the team as players who have not played recently getting some game time as well as the youngsters. Three of the last five games between the sides have ended in draws. It is quite possible we may see the same result again on Sunday.
Wolves 1-1 Manchester United